Integrating the Higher Education Institutions achieving SFDRR and SDGs
On 7-8 March 2019
The Sendai Framework Agenda for 2030 calls to increase awareness on disaster risk reduction and resilience and implement policies to prevent new risks. The unique amalgamation of disaster resilience and sustainable development educators in Asian region is a vital need to develop cross cutting education system particularly in vulnerable Asia-pacific region. The “sharing of resources and knowledge” and “mutual learning” approaches are important ingredients of resilient community. To inculcate the integration of the Natural Science and Social Science approach towards DRR and Sustainable development through multidisciplinary higher education process, an International Symposium on “Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development” will be organised by Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand from 7 - 8 March 2019. The programme will include keynote speeches, panel discussions, technical session, poster presentation and academic exhibition.
The International Symposium on “Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development” is one of the initiatives of ProSPER.Net project “Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development Education Network in Asia” lead by Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand along with the partner universities in the Asia Pacific Region.
The symposium will also provide an opportunity to develop a Higher Educational Institution Platform on DRR to address the cross-cutting issues on Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development and also understanding regional challenges that result from complex problems generated by natural hazards and human induced threats.
1. Disaster Risk, Education and Communication[University education, higher education courses, capacity development and training, Risk Perception and Behaviour, communication tools and techniques etc.]
2. Sustainable Development and Disaster Risk[Resilient Development challenges, Mainstreaming DRR, Mitigation and adaptation techniques, addressing SDGs, Public Health Risk, smart cities etc.]
3. Disaster Risk Science and Engineering[Risk and vulnerability assessment, multi-hazard modelling, numerical modelling and simulations, resilient built environment etc. ]
4. Trending Technologies in Natural Disater Risk Reduction[Remote Sensing, GIS, Drone, UAV, ICT and AI applications in multi-hazards scenario, weather forecast and early warning etc.]
5. Disaster Data Science and Management[Big Data, Cloud sourcing of disintegrated data, disaster data management, risk communication, decision support system, innovations etc.]
Academicians, Scientists, Engineers, Research scholars, Students, Development Agencies, Practitioners, Policy Makers, Private Companies, Govt. and Non-Govt. Organisations.
Disaster Preparedness, Mitigation and Management (DPMM), Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
Water Engineering and Management (WEM), Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand.
Department of Remote Sensing & Geographic Information Systems, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
Urban Environmental Management, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
This International Symposium on Disaster Resilience and Sustainable Development will assemble relevant international stakeholders to catalyse dialogues vital to Disaster Resilience and sustainable Development in Education, to lay groundwork for regional synergies between the higher educational institutions dealing with disaster education, research and to facilitate exchange of knowledge among researchers, practitioners, policymakers regarding Disaster Risk Reduction, Resilience and Sustainable Development in higher education.
In Association with: